When you apply for a car loan or mortgage or apartment lease, as well as various government services, the lender must verify that you have a source of income – and, usually, how much you make.
Verifications used to happen this way: The lender made you sign a release form, which they then mailed to your employer. The employer had to complete the form and mail it back to the lender. This sometimes took days or weeks, and forms could easily get lost or misdirected, leading to impatience, frustration — even the risk of losing your “perfect house” due to delay.
There’s a better way.
The Work Number
Now, NC State participates in the nationwide “Work Number” system. It saves significant time and effort for everyone – employees, lenders, and employers.
“The Work Number” is a secure, automated service where employees can instantly certify their employment and income at NC State when they’re applying for a loan or service. Any lender or leasing agent can verify the employment and income for any non-student NCSU faculty and staff member (both regular and temp employees) within a matter of minutes.
The service is available 24/7 and can be used whenever you need to provide proof of employment or income.
How the Process Works
The employee controls the process. The authorization process is fast and easy. You simply provide the verifier with your social security number and NC State University’s unique Employer Code: 13063. The verifier can then complete the process online at www.theworknumber.com — or by phone at 800-367-5690. All of the information they will need for employment verification is provided there.
EMPLOYER CODE: 13063
Verify your Income with a “Salary Key”
If you want to verify your current salary in addition to verifying that you’re employed at NC State, you create a one-use “Salary Key.”
After a Salary Key is used for a one-time verification, it can’t be used again, but you can create new salary keys as needed. You create a unique Salary Key for each verifier who needs to verify your salary. If you provide your e-mail address, the Work Number notifies you when the verifier actually uses their Salary Key.
Use Employee Self-Service
To obtain a Salary Key, follow these steps
- Go to NC State’s homepage www.ncsu.edu
- Click on Resources at the top right side of the page, and choose MYPack Portal
- Log in using your UnityID & password
- Click on the “For Faculty & Staff” tab
- Click on “Payroll and Compensation”
- Click on “Employment/Income Verification.” This will automatically log you in to The Work Number website. If you are prompted to enter in a password, clear your browser and try again.
- Select the tab labeled “Salary Key”
- Select “+New Salary Key”
- You will be provided with a six-digit Salary Key that will allow the verifier to access this information via The Work Number.
For NCSU student employees, including Work-Study and Student Temporary Employees:
- Due to the sensitive nature of student data and related FERPA legislation, all work-study and temporary student employment verifications must be completed by the Human Resources Information Management department on campus at NCSU.
- Please forward all requests for NCSU student employment verifications to: HRIM, 2711 Sullivan Dr Campus Box 7210 Raleigh NC 27695, 919-515-7929 voice, 919-513-0793 fax
For NCSU Graduate Teaching & Graduate Research Assistants:
- All Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant employment verifications reference: www.theworknumber.com.